Before we moved into our home it had baby blue berber carpet straight from the 80's. We knew we didn't want them, but we planned to live with them for awhile before we could budget for some new flooring. Plans changed real quick when the day we got the keys to our new home we discovered a leak had been occurring within the walls of what would be the kids bedroom. The carpet was soaked and stained and it was most definitely time for it to be pulled up. Because we didn't have it in the budget for new flooring we had to brainstorm our next best option. For our design aesthetic we thought concrete floors would be really cool. My husband started doing a bunch of research on what equipment he needed to rent, what gear he had to wear for his safety and just what order did the steps for sanding and sealing concrete floors go in.
Here is the before of our great room with its baby blue carpet and walls.
Once my husband pulled up the carpet we held our breath for a semi-decent looking slab. We got pretty lucky that there was minimal cracking and not too many chalk and glue lines. You can tell from this photo how dirty this job was.